BCN Engineering Code of Conduct
We as members, contributors, and admins pledge to make participation in our community a harassment-free experience for everyone, regardless of age, body size, visible or invisible disability, ethnicity, sex characteristics, gender identity and expression, level of experience, education, socio-economic status, nationality, personal appearance, race, religion, or sexual identity and orientation.
We pledge to act and interact in ways that contribute to an open, welcoming, diverse, inclusive, and healthy community.
The following statements apply to all means of communication and shapes, i.e. text messages, reactions, calls, video calls…
- Using welcoming and inclusive language
- Demonstrating empathy and kindness toward other people
- Being respectful of differing opinions, viewpoints, and experiences
- Giving and gracefully accepting constructive feedback
- Accepting responsibility and apologizing to those affected by our mistakes, and learning from the experience
- Focusing on what is best not just for us as individuals, but for the overall community
- Showing empathy towards other community members
- Conduct or speech which might be considered sexist, racist, homophobic,
transphobic, ableist or otherwise discriminatory or offensive in nature.
- Do not use unwelcome, suggestive, derogatory or inappropriate nicknames or terms.
- Do not show disrespect towards others. (Jokes, innuendo, dismissive attitudes)
- Trolling, insulting/derogatory comments, and personal or political attacks
- Public or private harassment. Please read the Citizen Code of Conduct for how we interpret harassment.
- Publishing others’ private information, such as a physical or electronic address, without explicit permission
- Violence, threats of violence or violent language.
- Other conduct which could reasonably be considered inappropriate in a professional setting
Community admins are responsible for clarifying and enforcing our standards of acceptable behavior and will take appropriate and fair corrective action in response to any behavior that they deem inappropriate, threatening, offensive, or harmful.
Community admins have the right and responsibility to remove, edit, or reject comments and other contributions that are not aligned to this Code of Conduct, or to ban temporarily or permanently any member for other behaviors that they deem inappropriate, threatening, offensive, or harmful.
Instances of abusive, harassing, or otherwise unacceptable behavior may be reported to the community admins responsible for enforcement at bcnengineers at gmail dot com and we will help you.
All complaints will be reviewed and investigated promptly and fairly.
All community admins are obligated to respect the privacy and security of the reporter of any incident.
Community admins will follow these Community Impact Guidelines in determining the consequences for any action they deem in violation of this Code of Conduct:
Community Impact: Use of inappropriate language or other behavior deemed unprofessional or unwelcome in the community.
Consequence: A private, written warning from community admins, providing clarity around the nature of the violation and an explanation of why the behavior was inappropriate. A public apology may be requested.
Community Impact: A violation through a single incident or series of actions.
Consequence: A warning with consequences for continued behavior. No interaction with the people involved, including unsolicited interaction with those enforcing the Code of Conduct, for a specified period of time. This includes avoiding interactions in community spaces as well as external channels like social media. Violating these terms may lead to a temporary or permanent ban.
3. Temporary Ban
Community Impact: A serious violation of community standards, including sustained inappropriate behavior.
Consequence: A temporary ban from any sort of interaction or public communication with the community for a specified period of time. No public or private interaction with the people involved, including unsolicited interaction with those enforcing the Code of Conduct, is allowed during this period. Violating these terms may lead to a permanent ban.
4. Permanent Ban
Community Impact: Demonstrating a pattern of violation of community standards, including sustained inappropriate behavior, harassment of an individual, or aggression toward or disparagement of classes of individuals.
Consequence: A permanent ban from any sort of public interaction within the community.
BcnEng doesn’t have a default language. Everyone is free to use any language they prefer, as long as it is done with respect and following this code. We know it would be ideal to use a language that everyone understands, but we know that’s impossible to achieve as most of our members speak Catalan and Spanish. We also know that a lot of members use English as a way to communicate, as it’s considered a universal language, but we cannot and will not force anyone to study a foreign language and abandon their native language.
This Code of Conduct is adapted from the Contributor Covenant, version 2.0, available at https://www.contributor-covenant.org/version/2/0/code_of_conduct.html and portions of Slack Developer Community Code of Conduct
Community Impact Guidelines were inspired by Mozilla’s code of conduct enforcement ladder.